Understand this – when you drive by someone on a bicycles, and yell something out of an open window, all we really hear is “Aaaak”. We can’t hear and distinguish anything more than a syllable, much less a sentence.
So, the next time you want to drive by me and yell “Fag!” or “Idiot!” or “Get a car!”, here’s what I need to have you do: Stop your car and say whatever insulting thing you have to say to my face.
I dare ya. No, actually I double dare ya. ?
And, while we’re on the subject of “motorist manners”, please, PLEASE don’t start to make a turn when there’s a cyclist behind you, and then change your mind. I was nearly in a bad situation today when I was pulling up behind a car in a turning lane. Since it looked like the car was turning, I was timing my approach so I would hit the intersection after the turn took place. Then, when the car decided to not turn, I had to maneuver very quickly to get out of harm’s way.
I figure the driver was trying to be nice, and that’s fine. But, driver’s should keep in mind that cyclists are (or at least should be) planning every encounter we have with a car in advance. Believe me, in almost all cases, I am trying to avoid encounters with cars, not trying to get them to accommodate me.
That’s pretty much it for now.
- Can cyclists and motorists learn to share the road?(confused.com)
- New bicycle advisory committee hopes to make biking safer in Manatee(bikereviewblog.com)
- The Debate over Urban Bike Lanes(mitpress.typepad.com)
- Cyclists’ horror stories(thetimes.co.uk)
- New Bicycle Safety Law To Go Into Effect Monday(pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
Copyright 2012 WallyDay.com